Thursday, January 28, 2016

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

     An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir is an amazing book!  It has been on my reading list for quite a while, but it was always one I pushed aside based on the length.  I just thought I wouldn't have time for it.  I was wrong!!!  This book is so fast paced, I read it in a weekend (and a busy weekend, at that).  I couldn't put it down and found myself missing the characters when the book ended.  That is when I know the book was a good one!
     This fictional book is based on two main characters, Elias and Laia, and is told from their alternating points of view. In their society, the Martial Empire controls all aspects of life.  Elias is a high born Mask in training.  Masks help maintain order in the empire with their weapons and brutality.  Laia and her family were once Scholars (independent and intelligent people) who were conquered and enslaved by the Empire.
     When Laia's brother is captured and imprisoned by the Empire for treason, Laia goes undercover to work in the Mask school.  She must gather information for the rebellion in order to receive their help in rescuing her brother.  Elias wants no part in the Mask school or their brutal tactics.  In fact, he plots an escape but is forced to stay and complete his training.  It is in the Mask school where the lives of Laia and Elias become intwined.  Elias saves Laia's life and attempts to protect her from his mother's cruel hand.
      This book is amazing!  It has been a while since I read a book and immediately wanted to share it with others.  If you are looking for a fast-paced, well-developed story to read, this is it!  The sequel comes out this summer, and I will definitely be picking it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment